Play Line-In on your Sonos Five
This article will guide you through setting up Line-In on your Sonos Five. The following steps also apply to Play:5. Line-In allows you to connect a device that has an audio output (such as a CD player or turntable) to play out of your Sonos system. Note that Line-In is disabled when Fives or Play:5s are being used as surround speakers in a Sonos home theater.
Before you start
- Make sure your Sonos Five has been added to your Sonos system.
- Make sure you have the right cable. If the source you want to play from has an 1/8" (3.5mm) output, you’ll need a standard 1/8" (3.5mm) cable (not included). If the source has RCA outputs, like a CD player, you’ll need an RCA to 1/8" (3.5mm) cable (not included) to connect to Sonos Five.
- Check if your source device requires a preamp. For example, some turntables do not have a built-in preamp, so you will need to connect your turntable to an external preamp and then connect the preamp to Sonos.
RCA to ⅛” (3.5mm)
Attach audio cable
- Plug the 1/8" (3.5mm) end of the cable into the 1/8" (3.5mm) input on the back of your Sonos Five.
- Depending on the outputs of your source device, plug the RCA or 1/8" (3.5mm) end of the cable into the corresponding output on your source device or preamp.
- Start playing something from your source device.
- Open the Sonos app for iOS or Android.
- From the Browse tab, tap Line-In.
- Tap the source device to start playback through Sonos.
You can also enable Autoplay on Sonos Five to automatically play your Line-In source when Sonos detects a signal. See our article on using Line-In for more information on Line-In settings.