Set up the Google Assistant with a voice-enabled Sonos product
This article will guide you through setting up the Google Assistant on your voice-enabled Sonos product. You can also set up the Google Assistant on Sonos using other devices, like a Google Home. See our article on setting up a Google Assistant device to control Sonos to learn how.
The Google Assistant is available on all voice-enabled Sonos products except for Era 100 and Era 300.
Before you start
- Check if the Google Assistant is available on Sonos in your region.
- Download the Google Assistant app to your mobile device. We recommend opening the app and signing into your Google account before you begin.
- Make sure your voice-enabled Sonos product has been set up and added to your Sonos system, and that your system is running the latest software version.
Open the Sonos app for iOS or Android. From the Settings tab, tap Services & Voice > Add a Service under Voice. Choose Google Assistant and tap Add to Sonos.
Choose your rooms
Choose the rooms you would like to set up and then tap Add Google Assistant. After selecting your products, you’ll be taken to the Google Assistant app.
Sign in to your Sonos account
The Google Assistant app will prompt you to sign in to your Sonos account.
Set up each Sonos product in the Google Assistant app
The Google Assistant app will walk you through setting up each product you selected in step two. You’ll be asked to:
- Give the Sonos product permission to use the Google Assistant with your account.
- Pick the room the device is used in (Living Room, Kitchen, etc).
- Provide your address for location-based services.
- Choose whether you want the Google Assistant chime to be on or off when you say “Hey, Google”. The chime is turned off by default, but you can change this option at any time.
- Add music services and choose your default music service.
When all selected products have gone through this same process, you’ll be returned to the Sonos app.
Add the same music services to Sonos
Make sure that any music services you add in the Google Assistant app have also been added to your Sonos system in the Sonos app. See our article on adding music services to Sonos to learn how.
Use the Google Assistant with your Sonos product
After the Google Assistant has been set up, you’re ready to use the Google Assistant with Sonos.
Supported music services
To see available music services, open the Assistant app for iOS or Android, tap your profile icon to get to your account page, and then tap Services > Music. Available services are listed under More Music Services. Music service availability will vary by region.
You can ask your Google Assistant to play music from iHeartRadio, TIDAL, and TuneIn Radio if those services are already added to your Sonos system, but they can’t be directly added to your Google Assistant app.
Apple Music is not currently supported for use with the Google Assistant on Sonos.