Control Sonos home theater with your TV remote
- Mobile device required
Sonos products connected via an optical cable or the Sonos Optical Audio Adapter require you to manually set up your TV remote to control the volume of your Sonos home theater product. If your Sonos home theater product is connected via HDMI-ARC, your TV remote will work automatically and won't need any setup to control Sonos.
Sonos will automatically guide you through this process during the initial setup of your Sonos home theater system. Follow the steps in this article if you need to set up a new remote with an existing home theater system or if you opted out of setting up your TV remote during the initial setup process.
- Open the Sonos app for iOS or Android.
- From the Settings tab, press System.
- Select the room where your Sonos home theater product is located.
- Under Home Theater, press Remote Control Setup.
- Follow the in-app instructions to configure your new remote to control your Sonos home theater.
- If your TV remote fails to connect or does not control the volume after a successful connection, see our article about TV remotes not being detected by Sonos.
- Only one remote can be programmed to control the Sonos home theater speaker at a time.